Thursday 17 November 2011

Gill Clarke

Great dancer, teacher and mentor Gill Clarke has died.  She was such an inspirational dancer and teacher, and always showed such calmness and poise both in and out of the studio. 

I always loved it when Gill used to, very enthuastically, bring out her odd little drawings of the human skeleton, and together we would all crowd over them as she pointed out various intracacies of the backbone or skull.

I will always be grateful that she allowed me to perform at 7 months pregnant with Rufus, at the Pegasus Theatre.  We all had great fun that week, and she bought out something special in all of our performances, regardless of age, experience or style.

Gill will be greatly missed in the UK, and even here in Australia I feel a huge vaccum of intelligence and information has gone.  In my quiet moments I will think on all Gill has taught me, offered me in dance.  Amongst all the hectic dance studios of the world, Gill's was a thankful, calm and thoughtful place.

No comments:

Post a Comment