Tuesday 27 December 2011

K.K.

Have you ever noticed that other people's families are weird? The Accountant and I have, very smugly, done whatever the hell we wanted for Christmas, every year for 20 years.  Skiing in the States?  Yes thanks.  White Christmas in Stockholm?  Don't mind if we do.  Fabulous Festive in London?  OK then.

Well this Christmas Day there were about 40 of my own family gathered into one space - and it was pretty freaky.  I tried to put myself in the position of the "outsiders", ie. the spouses of my cousins, to see how it would appear to them.  And I must say that yes it would seem quite full-on to be part of the Smith family on Christmas Day.  But not to be missed out on as it was the best fun ever.


Instead of explaining how it all went I have decided instead to give out some awards.  This will make no sense to anyone apart from those who participated in the hotly contested Kris Kringle present extravaganza which took place.  A Christmas gift-giving exercise designed to make one feel excited, euphoric, deeply disappointed and/or violent - but never bored.  So those who didn't take part can sign off now - or keep reading my jolly Christmas rant.

And without further ado, the Awards go to:

Best Present: It has to go to the Scratchcards.
Worst Present: Sophie's very unfortunate crap present which included coasters in the shape of crinkle-cut crisps.
Best Comic Moment: Shaun!  Love this guy - I need him in my hall cupboard, and can pull him out when in the depths of despair to cheer me up.
Loudest Child Scream: Jaide.
Naughtiest Children: The Lyons Boys.
Best Food: A toss between Auntie Deb's gravy and Auntie Bid's Lemon Slice.  Yum.
Second Best Food:  My famous Christmas Biscuits!
Best Christmas Activity: Watching the boys go from trampoline to slip n' slide.
Best Dressed: Sienna.
Most Organised with Baby Stuff: Hope (thanks!)
Best Special Effects: The thunderstorm which raged throughout the Kris Kringle celebrations.
Best Fake Santa: Russell
Best Idea: Me - going to Collingwood the day before to get those two extra cases of wine. We needed it.

2 comments:

  1. Nic! It's Merryn. Welcome back! Would love to chat - caught up with Shari a couple of days ago. davemerryn@netspeed.com.au or merryn.brown@bsttechconsulting.com
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete