Thursday 6 June 2013

What's It All About?

When I had been in Australia only six months, people said it takes about a year to feel better.  Settle in. Call the place home.

At the one year mark I felt considerably worse than during the first week, when it was all new and exciting.  As well as the fact that I was incredibly sleep-deprived from new baby and jet-lag.  A fog of naivety.

By August it will be two years since we came to "The Lucky Country".  Two years!

The other night after a particularly lovely dance class at Chunky Move in the city, I was feeling......happy.  Funny how a walk alone back to your car can bring on thoughts of calmness and serenity.  The city of Melbourne sprawled in front of me, lit up and reminiscent of a New York skyline at night (if you squint a bit).  But I had been at home with sick and/or injured children for about five weeks now, so it was also respite from domesticity and all its responsibilities.

During my day to day business of school drop-offs and pick-ups, the endless after-school activities of gymnastics, swimming, scouts and football, not to mention the entertaining of a two-year old, it is easy to forget that I am meant to be an actual individual person who might like to trapse into the city for a dance class.  A proper adult dance class.  With proper dancers.  Wearing proper dance clothes. And no one wearing an apron or picking up lego.

Sometimes my weekly (or twice weekly if I can trick The Accountant) dance class feel like a weekend to Barbados.  Although obviously without the bikini and cocktail.  That could be interesting though....

Are the scales finally tipping towards my new life here?  My impending trip to the UK to fix our house seemed like a good opportunity to catch up with friends, if only it was one week earlier or later as most people are starting their emails "...I'm so sorry I won't be here when you....". Bugger off.  Well I can tell you one thing.  Me and my other two friends are going to have a great time.

Photo: This was taken on Karen & Fraser's visit of January 2012, but thought it was cute and might get your attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment