Tuesday 11 June 2013

Vanguard

Went to the ballet luvvies to see The Australian Ballet.  Three different choreographers, George Balanchine, Jiri Kylian and Wayne McGregor.  Of course it is always lovely to have a trip to the ballet, but I was slightly disappointed with the interpretation.  The first piece was a little boring for me.  Only because contemporary dance has come along in leaps and bounds (pun intended), and this version of faux jazz ballet and classical ballet pushed me over edge.  I didn't even have any champagne as I was still feeling the effects of a party at the neighbours the day before.

Kylian and McGregor's pieces I had seen before on their respective companies - Netherlands Dans Theatre and Random Dance Company.  The Australian dancers are obviously well-trained and approached both pieces with their usual professionalism. But having seen these works in Europe I felt the attention to detail in the style, quirkiness and sheer edginess was a bit lost.  Don't get me wrong, The Australian Ballet dancers do what they're told.  And they can kick a leg like nobody's business!

Gorgeous sets and costumes.  But overall slightly lacking in confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment