Monday 27 May 2013

Climbing Exam

I thought I had hit Blog Writer's Gold last night when I came home from dropping Henry at Cub Scouts and found The Accountant literally attached to one of the kitchen cupboards by climbing rope.  Yes my husband of nearly twenty years was practising looping his climbing rope through a carabiner and back out again.  It was like being in a Lars Von Trier film or something.  He was smirking as he noticed me quietly enter the kitchen and watch this bizarre activity.

"What the..."
"Yes well I have to do a bloody exam to get a climbing gym membership.  And I'm thinking of changing my clipping technique.  Do I do it the old way..." he clipped the carabiner hanging from the kitchen cupboard "...or this way?", he clipped the carabiner again - in exactly the same manner.
"But, you just did the same thing twice."
"No!  They are two very different clipping techniques".

All this was done at eye level.  And yet the climbing rope was tied to his waist.  Where did he think he was going to fall?  In front of the dishwasher?  And then hopefully have to accidently unpack it?

So in one room was little Jonty watching Makka Pakka.  In his bedroom was Rufus talking to himself and his action men.  And The Accountant.  Practising clipping technique in the kitchen.  I suppose having me add to the equation making contemporary dance between hanging out washing is not so mad after all.

God I hope he passes the climbing exam otherwise it will be unbearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment