Sunday 16 September 2012

Tan Tights

Contemporary dancers still wearing old, well-loved training clothes in the dance studio will feel my pain here.

As far as I'm concerned there are three fashion faux pas which really get my goat.

1.  Massive wide belts of the kind that were in fashion about seven years ago, but which some people still insist on wearing.  Even worse when they are bejwelled with sparkling trinkets.

2.  Fat people wearing leggings.  ANY TIME, ANY PLACE.

3.  Stonewash jeans and a matching jacket.  Just awful.

In the dance studio however there are a whole new set of rules about what is acceptable and what is clearly just poor judgement.  And this week I got into an argument with my teenage dancers about what they could wear for their dance piece.  They wanted to wear tan tights.  TAN TIGHTS!

I told them to move on - it is not 1986, and we are not entering a Beauty Pagent in some mid-western town in the States.  And they are performing an abstract contemporary dance piece, loosely based on some Indigenous Dreamtime themes. 

Just like Edna in The Incredibles ("No Capes!"), I said "No Tan Tights!".

3 comments:

  1. I sympathise Nic, shocking flashbacks haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tan tights simply remind me of mums in the 1970's. YES teenagers I was alive then. Get over it... get over tan tights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Babe, tan-coloured normal pantyhose are not the same thing at all. Tan tights in the dance world are hideous, sparkly creations that no sane person would be seen in. In the same genre as maroon unitards or up-the-bum leotards from the 80s. Our Mums in the 70s were positively glowing Bianca Jaggers compared to the dance world's tan tights. I will try and fish out a picture for you. x

    ReplyDelete