Wednesday 12 September 2012

Shop Names

Now I will tell you something I little bit funny.  Australian people will not find this the least bit peculiar because they are used to it - so feel free to ignore this blog post.

In Australia, or Melbourne at least, the shop fronts and signs are HUGE.  Much bigger than they really need to be.  Some of them at least 20 times the size of a normal UK high street retailer.  And this from someone with failing eyesight.  Apart from the actual lettering on the signs entering into some secret competition with the sign next door, what the signs actually represent is even funnier.

A few examples:

Crazy John's - Discount mobile phone store.  I would be a little bit reticent about buying a phone from these guys.

The Badbacks Store - Hilarious!  A store for people with bad backs.  If I had time I would have hung around just to watch poor old bent over people hobbling in to buy themselves a spoon and fork.

Tony le Pony - Would have been great if this had been an equestrian shop, but turned out to be a boring cafe.

Trippy Taco - All those who watched Monkey in the 70's we salute you.  This taco place was packed late one night when The Accountant and I had date night.

Fella Hamilton - Posh ladies dress shop, but the name is very off-putting. Mother and I had a giggle as our old dog from 35 years ago was called Fella, spelling included.

A German friend also took a photo of a sushi shop called Mishi Mishi which apparently, in Germany, is another name for (excuse me) fanny/snatch/fandango.  Smirk.

No comments:

Post a Comment