Wednesday 9 May 2012

Arctic Spring

The journey did not go well.  For nearly two weeks I nursed everyone through gastric flu.  The baby was the last one to get it, and I was packing my bag whilst tending to Jonty's high fever, an ominous headache descending on my person.  Of course in the way of the world, we all know what happened.  Four hours into the flight I was using a million of those airsick bags you hope you NEVER have to use.  In between bouts of sickness I turned to the unlucky sod next to me and said "I am so sorry about this...." and off I went again.  It was terrible.  To add to this there was the worst turbulence I have ever encountered.  Drinks flew in the air, passengers were screaming and the air hostess had to squat very unglamorously in the aisle lest she fall over. This lasted about an hour. And we were still flying over Australia!

At Singapore I freshened up and got ready for the next onslaught - another 14 miserable hours feeling sick on the plane.  Nevertheless I survived and was whisked away to a spa weekend retreat with The Birds.  We were The Birds with one missing from the flock unfortunately, but had a fantastic time in a grand manor house in the Cotswolds.  The only downside was trotting from our actual hotel across to the spa in temperatures of about 8 degrees.  All the funnier when Katy had to wear her flip flops with cold toes hanging out due to a pedicure. Good times with great friends.

Feeling much relaxed, refreshed and not at all hungover - we headed to Witney for a spot of H&M shopping.  Ahhh, all a girl's troubles can be solved by buying an entire season of clothes for the price of one coat in Melbourne.  I bought: shoes, trousers, coat, 3 shirts, sunglasses, socks (because it was so bloody freezing) and a belt.

Shhhh - don't tell The Accountant.

No comments:

Post a Comment