Friday 19 April 2013

Multi-tasking

The other night I was cooking dinner whilst making up that evening's Hip Hop routine (if only they knew!).  I was singing along to Lil' Kim's Lighter's Up and Rufus wanted to know what the song was about.  "You know when you're at a gig Rufus, and you're all singing the tune and the crowd puts their lighter's up in the air (and wave your arms like you just don't care...)"  He looked at me blankly.

While this was going on I was helping Henry with another task and every now and then had to run outside and kick the ball with Jonty otherwise I hear "MA! BALL!" constantly.  At the same time I was cleaning out lunch boxes and putting another load of washing on, emptying the dishwasher and ensuring the house was tip top.  Why?  Because The Accountant comes home early on a Thursday so I can go out and earn my keep dancing around to Lil' Kim.  I was also hosting a morning tea the following day and did not want to wake up to the usual disaster area after my night out working.

Everyone makes jokes about women multi-tasking.  But I'm not totally convinced that it is a talent of the fairer sex or just plain necessity that has us running from one thing to the next, wooden spoon in one hand, laptop in the other and yoga kit in the bag and ready to run for the door should the opportunity arise.  It also explains why I often hear the male members of yoga classes snoring away in the relaxation period at the end of the class.  I find it a very useful time to go through My List, every now and then trying to bring myself back to the present and breathing (it's always the breathing...) but really I'm thinking about the fact the Rufus' school uniform is dirty and can no way be clean and dry in time for the morning.

I received a very threatening and aggressive email from Rufus' gymnastics club regarding the late payment of Term 2 fees.  Don't bother paying them now, they smugly stated, you probably won't have a place anymore. And don't bother turning up either as we will have worked our way down the long waiting list blah blah blah.  What the ?  Why don't they just shine a light in my eyes and ask my whereabouts last Monday at 3:25am?  Who are these people anyway? MI6 might need these administrative skills in London.

Anyway I know some people, who know some people who might go in there and and do some finger pointing and middle-naming so don't worry I've got it sorted.

No comments:

Post a Comment