Thursday 22 November 2012

Chookas

I cannot remember the last time I was in a dressing room preparing to go on stage and did not know the people around me. Usually everyone in the Biserk dressing room had seen everyone else's bottom a hundred times before and we just got on with it.  So last night I had to share a dressing room with complete strangers, male and female, whilst we all stripped in and out of sweaty costumes and underwear, leaning over to fix mascara, looking in the mirror at bar straps, knicker lines and hairstyles.  And the girls were pretty fussy too.

Lots of male torsos and bits and bobs.  Well readers I didn't know where to look!  I did really but of course I'm a lady foremost.

Now "Chookas" is an Australian term meaning good luck.  Where in England we would say Break A Leg.  I have no idea where the word came from as it reminds me of chooks running around on a farm, which is the last thing I am thinking about in the wings before I go on stage.  But whatever floats your boat.

Had a fantastic opening night last night. Which was a relief as we had a completely crap dress rehearsal (which always bodes well somehow) where we tripped on our props and we were dancing a bit like Mick Jagger - but in a bad way.  Then it all magically came together for the real thing.

Hayley wanted to know why I was not nervous. I was just so relaxed and happy to be out of the house doing my thing, I had no time to be nervous.  Imagine swapping dinner/bath/bedtime ritual (absolute bloody chaos) with dancing for an audience.  Also the older you get.....

No comments:

Post a Comment