Wednesday 31 October 2012

Strictly Commercial

Is it me or has the contemporary dance scene in Australia turned into one big highly commercial dance competition?  It really is exactly like the Strictly Ballroom film, except insert Contemporary Dance instead of the Ballroom bit.  I mean if you are a ballroom dancer, there is no need to be offended because they celebrate the bitchiness and the costumes.

So I am in this Dance Festival and there are awards and prizes. One of them is a People's Choice Award, where if you filled the auditorium with your friends - you're the winner!  Clearly I will not be taking any awards home this year even though my aunties and cousins are doing their best to support me.  But five people cheering in the audience will not cut it.

I was re-thinking my cheeky costume (it is SO boring dieting, especially when Mama needs her champagne on a Friday night), but now I am thinking I should be prepared to be a little risky - might get a few more votes!  Only problem is the piece might become a cross between European-style dance theatre and a lap dancer.  I always knew I was in the wrong business.

PS.  I do try to write blogs that do not offend people.  But it is really hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment