Wednesday 17 September 2014

Mountain Girl

Had a little family jaunt to Mount Dandenong.  Stayed from Friday afternoon til Sunday in a little house perched on the side of the mountain.  Heaven.  Log Fire.  A balcony with a view of just the forest and NO BLOODY NEIGHBOURS.  Loved it.  Revelled in it.  Smelled that fresh air and all those lovely Eucalyptus trees.  The boys played "army" in on the grass, in the forest, on a walk.  Henry and Rufus smeared their faces with charcoal from a blackened tree to get in character.  It was rather embarrassing.

Jonty was not feeling well.  Still reeling from the flu a couple of weeks ago.  So I took him on a drive.  Ended up at a Real Estate Agency - "just have a look" - I thought.  Before I knew it the agent was my new best friend (along with the hairdressers and the lady in the teashop). We had sorted out all my housing needs and I had booked our family in for a viewing at a property up the road at 2pm.

What the ….?

I had to literally drag the family kicking and screaming to the viewing (that was just The Accountant really).  And when we got there it was…..nirvana.  Paradise.   I even knew where our bookcases would go, how I would position the fridge, which bedrooms for children and which for guests.  1.5 acres of a country retreat, surrounded not by brown countryside and farmland, but trees and rhododendrons.  Not one entertaining deck outside, but two.  Chickens.  A stable.  A bloody ride-on mower!

So now the hard work starts.  Do we uproot the children from their amazing school?  Their friends and activities?  Our own new friends and activities?  Social life?  Or do we scrimp and save and forever shop at K-Mart and spend $1million on a 2-bedroom unit on a main road with no garden?  Hmmmmm…..

No comments:

Post a Comment