Sunday 18 March 2012

Vermin Part II

I have just been in the kitchen screaming "You little bastard! I'm going to kill you! ***k you, you little prick!"  No, I was not talking to the children, but cramming a disgustingly large cockroach into the bin, and then outside.  Rufus just put his fingers in his mouth and observed all this very calmly, then went back to doing what he was doing.

I know some Brits are a bit apprehensive about coming to Australia due to snakes and spiders.  Forget it.  It is like living in a third world cesspit in Camberwell, with the rats and cockroaches.  It is meant to be one of the most sought-after suburbs in Melbourne - but nobody has told these creatures that high rent equals NO VERMIN.

Our gardener is a knowledgeable sort of guy, so I have enlisted his help in my fight against the rodents.  I pondered whether it might be wise to get rid of all of the tomato plants, even though it is a huge waste, I thought it might be attracting them.  "That will slow them down a bit" he grinned at me.  He can smell the fear, but does not want to admit that whatever I do, I am waging a losing battle.

Dene Road might have been smaller, less grand than where we are now.  But at least you could have your morning coffee or an evening glass of sauvingnon blanc in the garden without worrying about scuttling creatures ruining the ambiance.

No comments:

Post a Comment